Wednesday, March 7, 2012

The Affects of Movies on Books and Vice Versa

Recently, I did a podcast on The Hunger Games with a fellow student. It prompted me to think about the affects movies have on books and vice versa. The whole reason I started reading The Hunger Games series was because I saw previews for the movie months ago and heard it was based on a series of books that people could not put down. I ordered all three books on my kindle and I too could not stop reading them. I was addicted. I told my girlfriend and my roommate about the books. They became addicted and then they told people about them. It spread like wildfire. I feel that movies can be helpful in elevating the popularity of a novel or a series of novels. I don't know a Walmart or Target that does not have all three books stocked on their shelves. The same may be said for the Twilight Series as well as Janet Evanovich novels. People like me see these movie trailers, find out they are based on books and want to read them. However, the same can be said for the influence of books on the movie industry. People fall in love with the characters and story  in a novel and  want to see the images they create in their mind come to life on the big screen. Hollywood knows this and takes these novels  and turns them into guaranteed box office hits. I feel that books help movies just as much as movies help books. It's something I'd call a win win.

1 comment:

  1. I totally agree with you. I saw the previews to but held off on reading them because I knew I had to read book one in Young Adult Lit. this semester and I wanted everything to be fresh in my mind. I it finished in two days. Dr. Balok even showed the trailer in class Monday to get us pumped up for it. One thing that I don't like about the whole movie/ book ordeal is when the original covers of books are replaced by movie adaptations- the original covers are usually so much better and beautifully artistic!

    ReplyDelete